11 Interesting Facts about victoria falls
1. Location: Victoria Falls is located in the middle of Zambezi River at the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe.
2Name: The waterfalls were named after Queen Victoria of Great Britain by a Scottish missionary.
3. The locals called it Mosi-o-Tunya “The smoke that thunders” because of its noise and water splashes.
4. Humans lived around the waterfalls continuously for about two million years.
5. The local African tribes had a sacred fear of Victoria Falls and were afraid to approach it.
6. Size: The Mosi-oa-Tunya/Victoria Falls is the largest curtain of falling water in the world; it is 1708 m wide and with up to 500 million liters per minute descending at 61 m (Devil’s Cataract), 83 m (Main Falls), 99 m (Rainbow Falls), 98 m (Eastern Cataract).
7. It is an UNESCO Heritage since 1989.
8. and also one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
9. Opposite the waterfall there is a basalt rock, entirely covered with tropical forest. The forest’s ecosystem depends on the waterfall.
10. The functions of the Victoria Falls are not limited only to being an attraction for million of tourists, it is also very important economically.
11. The waterfall supplies energy to several cities in Zimbabwe and Zambia.